Capital for new Andhra Pradesh: Kurnool, Tirupati in fray
Hyderabad: Following the passage of Telangana bill in Parliament, the residual state of Andhra Pradesh is now facing the task of choosing a new capital city with various leaders pitching for their regions.
T G Venkatesh, Minor Irrigation Minister in the outgoing Kiran Kumar Reddy government, said Kurnool should be the capital of the new Andhra Pradesh. Venkatesh hails from Kurnool district.
There should not be any bad blood between the Rayalaseema and Coastal Andhra regions, unlike that between Telangana and Seemandhra in the undivided Andhra Pradesh, Venkatesh said.
He suggested that there could be two capitals, to satisfy both the regions.
Byreddy Rajasekhara Reddy, a former TDP MLA who heads an outfit which champions the cause of Rayalaseema, also demanded that Kurnool be the new capital.
Senior Congress MP from Tirupati, Chinta Mohan, wants the famous temple town as the new capital.
Rayalaseema comprises districts of Chittoor, Kadapa, Kurnool and Anantapur.
The Centre has said that a committee would be set up to go into the issue of the new capital for residuary Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof