Case against TDP leaders for employing minor
Hyderabad: A case of child abuse under the Juvenile Justice Act and Child Labour Act has been registered against TDP candidates Vonteru Venugopal Reddy (Nellore Lok Sabha) and Bollineni Rama Rao (Udayagiri Assembly) for allegedly employing a nine-year-old boy for electioneering related work.
"We have registered a case based on the complaint of Child Welfare Committee of the district in Jaladanki police station and it is under investigation," Andhra Pradesh Chief Electoral Officer Bhanwar Lal said here on Wednesday.
The party engaged the boy to carry a heavy speaker box for over an hour under scorching sun during electioneering on May 14.
The CEO told a press conference here that a sum of Rs 21.55 crore in cash has been seized in different districts where by-elections were slated for June 12. The money was so far unaccounted for.
He said 1.29 lakh litres of liquor was also seized while 3,292 belt shops (unauthorised liquor vends) have been shut down.
"The Excise Commissioner Sameer Sharma issued strict instructions to his department staff to step up enforcement and check illicitly-distilled liquor in 12 districts facing by-elections," Bhanwar Lal added.
Meanwhile, 135 candidates filed their nominations so far for 18 Assembly seats and six filed their papers for the Nellore Lok Sabha seat from May 18 to 23. Today itself, 76 candidates filed nominations for contesting the Assembly seats and three for Nellore Lok Sabha seat.
The last date for filing nominations is May 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents