Case filed against VHP leader Praveen Togadia`s statements
Hyderabad: A case has been filed against VHP leader Praveen Togadia by the police for allegedly making inflammatory statements during his visit to the city recently and a complaint was filed against him in a local court on the charge of making provocative remarks against a particular community.
An FIR was filed against Togadia under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) for his alleged remarks made against the community during December last year over the Bhagyalakshmi temple row, police sources said on Thursday.
In a related development, a practicing advocate Ghulam Rabbani also approached the 7th Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate court seeking registration of a case against Togadia under Section 295A (deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious feelings or any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs) of IPC for allegedly making provocative statements and hurting the sentiments of a minority community.
"When the city was tense last month, Togadia came to Hyderabad and made provocative statements against the minority community near Charminar and the same was telecast on local TV channels," he claimed, adding that a compact disc (CD) containing video footage of his statements has been submitted to the court.
The court posted the matter to January 8 for taking a sworn statement of the complainant.
The court will record the complainant`s statement and later decide whether to take cognisance of charges against Togadia or not.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA