`Cash allegedly belonging to Sai Trust be handed to I-T`
Anantapur: The Second Additional Sessions Court in Hindupur town of Anantapur district has ordered that the Rs 35.5 lakh cash seized by the police from a
vehicle, allegedly belonging to Sathya Sai Central Trust, be handed over to the Income-Tax Department.
Judge T Gangi Reddy passed the order yesterday while dealing with cross-revision petition of I-T department, and the two petitions filed by a Bangalore-based consultant firm and some devotees, seeking return of the money.
While upholding the magistrate`s order, the judge rejected the petitions of the firm and devotees, and directed the police to hand over the money to the I-T department.
Claiming the money, the two petitioners had contended
that the seized cash had been given by late Sathya Saibaba`s
devotees to the consultant for the construction of a "Maha
Samadhi" (a memorial) for the spiritual leader who passed away
on April 23 last year.
The I-T department, on the other hand, had sought clarity
over the lower court`s order which had mentioned the name of
an Income Tax officer for the purpose of handing over the
seized cash, said special public prosecutor KC Krishnareddy.
The department had sought a direction that the money
should be handed over to the department, and not in the name
of an individual officer. The sessions court agreed to this,
the public prosecutor said.
Sathya Sai Central Trust today issued a clarification,
saying that it had not filed any petition seeking return of Rs
35.5 lakh, nor had it ever claimed ownership of the amount.
It also reiterated that the vehicle in which cash was
found did not belong to the trust.
A four-wheeler carrying Rs 35.5 lakh was stopped by
police at Kodikonda check-post under Chilamanthur police
station limits of Anantapur district on June 18 last year.
Police arrested three persons, namely, the driver
Harishnanda Shetty, Chandrasekhar and Sohan Shetty. They later
Subsequently, police served notices to top officials of
the Sai Central Trust, including Sathya Sai Baba`s nephew RJ Ratnakar, for investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi