Cash-for-bail: ACB summons Reddy`s associate, MLA
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Anti-Corruption Bureau, which is probing the cash-for-bail scandal involving former Karnataka Minister Gali Janardhan Reddy, today asked his close associate -- and BSR Congress founder and MLA -- B Sreeramulu to be present for recording of statement.
"Notice has been given under Section 160 of Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC)...Sreeramulu will be appearing before ACB on August 21," a top Bureau official said.
In its remand report in the court after the arrest of BJP`s Kampli MLA T H Suresh Babu on July 31, ACB had claimed that Sreeramulu had called up Babu, his nephew, on April 21. He allegedly told Babu that R Suryaprakash Babu from Hyderabad knew some judges, and was ready to help for procuring bail for Gali Janardhan Reddy, jailed in illegal mining scam.
Apart from Suresh Babu, ACB has also arrested Janardhan Reddy`s brother and Bellary MLA Gali Somashekhar Reddy, who is accused of striking the deal and bribing judge T Pattabhirama Rao (now supsended) for grant of bail to the mining baron.
Pattabhirama Rao granted bail to Reddy in May, but rejected the bail plea of suspended IAS officer Y Srilakshmi in the same case, on the same day.
Amid allegations of bribery, Andhra Pradesh High Court suspended Rao on May 31, and handed over the case to ACB.
ACB has filed a charge sheet, and so far arrested three serving judges including Pattabhirama, beside eight other persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note