Cash-for-bail: ACB summons Reddy`s associate, MLA
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Anti-Corruption Bureau, which is probing the cash-for-bail scandal involving former Karnataka Minister Gali Janardhan Reddy, today asked his close associate -- and BSR Congress founder and MLA -- B Sreeramulu to be present for recording of statement.
"Notice has been given under Section 160 of Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC)...Sreeramulu will be appearing before ACB on August 21," a top Bureau official said.
In its remand report in the court after the arrest of BJP`s Kampli MLA T H Suresh Babu on July 31, ACB had claimed that Sreeramulu had called up Babu, his nephew, on April 21. He allegedly told Babu that R Suryaprakash Babu from Hyderabad knew some judges, and was ready to help for procuring bail for Gali Janardhan Reddy, jailed in illegal mining scam.
Apart from Suresh Babu, ACB has also arrested Janardhan Reddy`s brother and Bellary MLA Gali Somashekhar Reddy, who is accused of striking the deal and bribing judge T Pattabhirama Rao (now supsended) for grant of bail to the mining baron.
Pattabhirama Rao granted bail to Reddy in May, but rejected the bail plea of suspended IAS officer Y Srilakshmi in the same case, on the same day.
Amid allegations of bribery, Andhra Pradesh High Court suspended Rao on May 31, and handed over the case to ACB.
ACB has filed a charge sheet, and so far arrested three serving judges including Pattabhirama, beside eight other persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured