Cash-for-bail: Andhra HC hands over case to ACB
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh High Court today asked the state Anti-Corruption Bureau to take over the probe against suspended special CBI court judge T Pattabhiramaa, accused of granting bail to mining baron Gali Janardhana Reddy allegedly for a bribe.
CBI had claimed to have recovered nearly Rs 1.80 crore here from a bank locker, the keys of which were allegedly in possession of Rao`s son, after it received tip-off that a deal had been struck between Rao and Reddy, a former Karnataka Minister, for bail to the latter in the illegal mining case involving Reddy`s firm OMC. Following this, HC last week suspended the judge.
Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) Director General B Prasada Rao told PTI tonight that CBI filed a report before the High Court, which today issued directions that the ACB should register a case and take up further probe.
"The CBI has handed over the files to us. It is under process...We may register a case tomorrow in this regard," the Director General said.
Pattabhirama Rao was placed under suspension on May 31. He had granted bail to Gali Janardhan Reddy in the OMC illegal mining case last month while rejecting the bail to IAS officer Y Srilakshmi, another accused.
After receiving the tip-off about alleged bribe deal, CBI apprised the Chief Justice of High Court, and upon getting a green signal, it got the locker opened and recovered nearly Rs 1.80 crore. CBI suspects it was a part of the bribe amount.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...