Cash-for-bail scam: HC grants bail to Janardhan Reddy
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh High Court on Wednesday granted bail to former Karnataka minister Gali Janardhan Reddy in one of the cash-for-bail scam cases involving him.
The mining baron, presently under judicial custody in the Obulapuram Mining Company (OMC) case, will, however, continue to remain in Chanchalguda jail here.
Reddy was granted bail in the second case booked against him by the Andhra Pradesh Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) on the charges of attempt to bribe suspended judge T Pattabhirama Rao to secure favourable order.
ACB`s first chargesheet filed on August 13 charged Rao and seven others of entering into a conspiracy to secure bail for Reddy in the OMC case, and recently added his name as an accused. The second chargesheet, filed on September 6 against seven persons, including Reddy, pertains to the second case of attempt to bribe Rao.
An ACB court had earlier dismissed Reddy`s bail plea after which he moved the high court.
The alleged scandal was exposed by CBI after Rao granted bail to Reddy in OMC case while refusing similar relief to suspended IAS officer Y Srilakshmi who is also an accused in the case.
The high court later suspended Rao and cancelled Reddy`s bail.
The ACB has so far arrested three serving judges, including Pattabhirama Rao, and eight others in two cases related to the scandal, however, most of the accused are out on bail.
They include two BJP legislators from Karnataka, Reddy`s brother and Bellary MLA Gali Somashekhar Reddy and Kampli MLA TH Suresh Babu; retired judge TV Chalpathi Rao, Pattabhirama`s son Ravi Chander, Dasaratha Ram Reddy (Reddy`s relative) and Yadagiri Rao.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok