Cash-for-bail scam: HC grants bail to Janardhan Reddy
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh High Court on Wednesday granted bail to former Karnataka minister Gali Janardhan Reddy in one of the cash-for-bail scam cases involving him.
The mining baron, presently under judicial custody in the Obulapuram Mining Company (OMC) case, will, however, continue to remain in Chanchalguda jail here.
Reddy was granted bail in the second case booked against him by the Andhra Pradesh Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) on the charges of attempt to bribe suspended judge T Pattabhirama Rao to secure favourable order.
ACB`s first chargesheet filed on August 13 charged Rao and seven others of entering into a conspiracy to secure bail for Reddy in the OMC case, and recently added his name as an accused. The second chargesheet, filed on September 6 against seven persons, including Reddy, pertains to the second case of attempt to bribe Rao.
An ACB court had earlier dismissed Reddy`s bail plea after which he moved the high court.
The alleged scandal was exposed by CBI after Rao granted bail to Reddy in OMC case while refusing similar relief to suspended IAS officer Y Srilakshmi who is also an accused in the case.
The high court later suspended Rao and cancelled Reddy`s bail.
The ACB has so far arrested three serving judges, including Pattabhirama Rao, and eight others in two cases related to the scandal, however, most of the accused are out on bail.
They include two BJP legislators from Karnataka, Reddy`s brother and Bellary MLA Gali Somashekhar Reddy and Kampli MLA TH Suresh Babu; retired judge TV Chalpathi Rao, Pattabhirama`s son Ravi Chander, Dasaratha Ram Reddy (Reddy`s relative) and Yadagiri Rao.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- National Ranking to have separate parameters for IISERs: Smriti Irani
- Hizb commander who blasted Kashmir telecom towers killed
- Euro 2016: Roy Hodgson didn't expect England exit so early in the tournament
- Kazakhstan beats Thailand in race for Asian seat on Security Council
- The human body refreshes itself every seven years! - Watch video