Cash-for-bail: Suspended judge, 7 others booked
Hyderabad: The Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) in Andhra Pradesh Saturday booked suspended judge T Pattabhirama Rao and seven others, including two Karnataka legislators, in the cash-for-bail case.
A day after Andhra Pradesh High Court transferred the case from the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), the ACB booked Pattabhirama Rao and others in a case in which former Karnataka minister Gali Janardhana Reddy was granted bail for bribe in an illegal mining case.
Those who have been booked are First Additional CBI Judge Pattabhirama Rao`s son Ravi Chandra, retired judge Chalapathi Rao, jailed former Karnataka minister Gali Janardhana Reddy`s brother Somasekhara Reddy and Suresh Babu, both legislators from Karnataka, rowdy sheeter Yadgiri of Hyderabad, Dasarathrami Reddy and a junior advocate.
The accused have been booked for corruption, cheating and criminal conspiracy under various sections of Indian Penal Code and Prevention of Corruption Act.
ACB sources said its Central Investigation Unit would probe the case.
The high court had Friday transferred the case to ACB.
The CBI has been investigating the scam ever since it found that Pattabhirama Rao received a bribe of Rs 5 crore to grant bail to Janardhana Reddy. However, no arrest has been made in the case so far.
High Court Chief Justice Madan B Lokur had May 31 suspended Pattabhirama Rao.
The CBI reportedly seized a part of the bribe money from bank lockers belonging to the suspended judge`s son.
The judge on May 11 had granted bail to Janardhana Reddy in the Obulapuram Mining Company case. He, however, remained in Bangalore jail as he is standing trial for another mining case in Karnataka.
The bail order was subsequently set aside by the high court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM