Cash-for-job `scam` reaches APPSC`s doorstep, member held
Hyderabad: Police on Monday arrested a member of the Andhra Pradesh Public Service Commission (APPSC) for allegedly playing a "key" role in the cash-for-job scam, a senior police officer said.
"GS Sitaramaraju, who played a key role in the job scam involving appointment of polytechnic lecturers by APPSC, was arrested by the Hyderabad Central Crime Station (CCS) sleuths on the charge of conspiracy and attempt to cheat," DCP (Detective Department) LKV Ranga Rao told a news agency last night.
Police had on June 10 arrested Chempati Sandhya, a self-styled entrepreneur, who was on the run after a sting operation was conducted and telecast by a local Telugu news channel on June 05, exposing the scandal.
Following a complaint by APPSC about the alleged role played by Sandhya who sought bribe to ensure lecturers` jobs in government Polytechnic colleges, the Detective Department booked a case against her and stepped up investigations.
In the TV footage, Sandhya was allegedly seen demanding money and assuring jobs to candidates appearing for interview for the post of lecturers and also claiming to have links with the APPSC member.
APPSC postponed the interviews and its Secretary Charu Sinha lodged a complaint with the CCS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video