Cash, liquor seized from East Godavari
Rajahmundry: Ahead of the June 12 bye-election to the Ramachandrapuram constituency, a large amount of cash and illicit liquor has been seized there from various persons.
East Goadavari District Collector and Election Officer Neetu Prasad said 3,300 litres of illicit liquor was seized while it was being transported. Besides, Rs 1.20 crore cash was also recovered from various persons.
A monitoring committee has been appointed in the district to keep a vigil on suspicious persons and vehicles, she said, during a meeting with other senior district officials last night.
"With an aim to provide voting right to eligible persons, the administration had extended enrolment of names in voters list up to May 15. As many as 9,000 applications were received and 2,000 are at scrutiny stage," she said, adding that classes will be conducted for the polling persons on May 23.
The election was necessitated due to disqualification of Pilli Subash Chandra Bose from the Congress membership due to his support to no-confidence motion in Andhra Pradesh Assembly.
He is now contesting on the ticket of YSR Congress party in the bye-election.
The other candidates in fray are - Thota Thrimurthulu of Congress, who lost 2004 election to Bose, and TDP`s Chikkala Ramachandra Rao.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- AAP bats for 'Annual Statewide Corruption Index' to curb graft
- Woman quits job to become full-time Pokemon Go player
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh moves HC seeking stay on his arrest
- Goa CM orders enquiry over criminal's ''murder'' in prison
- Flight 370: With search suspended, a cold-case file awaits