Cash, liquor seized from East Godavari
Rajahmundry: Ahead of the June 12 bye-election to the Ramachandrapuram constituency, a large amount of cash and illicit liquor has been seized there from various persons.
East Goadavari District Collector and Election Officer Neetu Prasad said 3,300 litres of illicit liquor was seized while it was being transported. Besides, Rs 1.20 crore cash was also recovered from various persons.
A monitoring committee has been appointed in the district to keep a vigil on suspicious persons and vehicles, she said, during a meeting with other senior district officials last night.
"With an aim to provide voting right to eligible persons, the administration had extended enrolment of names in voters list up to May 15. As many as 9,000 applications were received and 2,000 are at scrutiny stage," she said, adding that classes will be conducted for the polling persons on May 23.
The election was necessitated due to disqualification of Pilli Subash Chandra Bose from the Congress membership due to his support to no-confidence motion in Andhra Pradesh Assembly.
He is now contesting on the ticket of YSR Congress party in the bye-election.
The other candidates in fray are - Thota Thrimurthulu of Congress, who lost 2004 election to Bose, and TDP`s Chikkala Ramachandra Rao.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Benefits of face scrubs for men
- In awe of the Master! WATCH how Sakshi Malik requested Sachin Tendulkar to take a selfie with her brother
- Coal imports in July dip 11% to 18 MT
- Sania Mirza overcomes Rio failure; lifts the Connecticut Open trophy to gear up for US Open
- MASSIVE! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' celebrates 50 days in theatres – Details inside