Cash seized from jailed MLA involved in cash-for-bail scam
Hyderabad: The Cherlapally Central Jail officials on Thursday seized an amount of Rs 15,000 from jailed Bellary city MLA Gali Somashekhar Reddy, an accused in the cash-for-bail scam involving his brother and former Karnataka minister Gali Janardhan Reddy.
Cherlapally jail officials conducted surprise checks in different barracks of the jail as per directions given by Director-General (Prisons and Correctional Services) T P Das, Cherlapally Superintendent of Police Srinivas Rao said.
After he was questioned, Somashekhar said that his family members had given him the amount and he kept it in order to offer it to Lord Venkateshwara, the superintendent explained.
As the amount was kept without informing jail officials, authorities have decided to punish Somashekhar Reddy by stopping visitors meeting him, Rao said.
Somashekhar who has been charged with playing a key role in offering bribes worth several crores of rupees to suspended judge T Pattabhirama Rao for granting bail to mining baron Janardhan Reddy, is the second legislator from Karnataka to be arrested by the Andhra Pradesh Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB), on August 6 following the arrest of BJP`s Kampli MLA T H Suresh Babu.
He is also the eleventh person to be arrested so far by ACB in the bail scandal involving three serving judges including Pattabhirama Rao.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH