Cash-strapped Mallya offers 3 kg gold to Lord Venkateswara
Tirupati: Promoter of crisis-ridden Kingfisher Airlines and UB Group Chairman Vijay Mallya made an offering of gold bricks, weighing about three kg, at the famous hill shrine of Lord Venkateswara on his 58th birthday on Tuesday.
Mallya donated the gold after offering worship and requested temple authorities to use it for gilding the doors at the sanctum sanctorum, Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams Deputy Executive Officer (temple) Chinnamgari Ramana told a news agency.
The United Breweries chief, who arrived with his family last night, celebrated his birthday at a simple function held at the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams guesthouse, Venkata Vijayam, donated by him 15 years ago, temple sources said.
In August, Mallya had offered Rs 80 lakh gold-plated doors to the Kukke Subramanya temple, a place in Karnataka`s Dakshina Kannada district visited by many a well-known personality looking for a turnaround in fortunes.
Kingfisher, which Mallya launched in 2005, was once India`s second-largest airline by domestic market share, but is now in deep financial distress.
It has been grounded since October 1 following a strike by its pilots and engineers over non-payment of salary dues and its flying license has been suspended.
It is believed that Mallya made sure that every aircraft he bought, first flew to Tirupati and circled around the Lord Venkateshwara shrine before being deployed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH