CAT sets aside appointment of Reddy as Andhra DGP
Hyderabad: The Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) on Tuesday set aside the appointment of V Dinesh Reddy as the Director General of Police of Andhra Pradesh.
While setting aside the appointment of Reddy, the Hyderabad bench of CAT has directed the AP government to send a new list of senior most IPS officers to the UPSC within a week after which the state government can appoint a new DGP, IPS officer Gautam Kumar`s counsel Jonnalagadda Sudhir said.
"The CAT has directed to complete the process of appointing a new DGP within three weeks," he added.
Challenging the Andhra Pradesh government`s decision to appoint Reddy as the DGP last year, senior IPS officer and Principal Secretary (Home) P Gautam Kumar, had approached the CAT, pointing out that the AP government had ignored his seniority with regard to appointment of state DGP.
The petitioner had said that the AP government violated the Supreme Court order in Prakash Singh case wherein it had said that the state government should send a list of three senior-most IPS officers to the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) for the selection of the DGP.
"The appointment of Dinesh Reddy as the Head of Police Force (HoPF) by the AP government is against the law laid down by the Supreme Court in Prakash Singh case. Reddy`s appointment should be set aside and new appointment should be made in accordance with law," Kumar had said in his petition.
A 1975 batch officer, Gautam Kumar had earlier challenged before CAT the appointment of K Aravinda Rao as the state police chief and had got an order in his favour in May last year, after the CAT quashed Rao`s appointment.
But the state government approached the AP High Court and obtained a stay on the CAT verdict, thereby allowing Rao to continue as the DGP who retired on June 30 last year, after which Dinesh Reddy took over as the new DGP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic