CBI conducts searches at bank in Visakhapatnam
Hyderabad: The CBI today conducted searches
at a nationalised bank and simultaneously raided some places
in Visakhapatnam city in connection with a case of fraudulent
transfer of Rs 353 crore into a current account.
CBI officials picked up three bank officials, who were
being questioned for their role in transferring the amount,
even as the prime accused managed to flee, officials said.
The prime accused Pothina Nageswara Rao in collusion with
J Soren, the then manager of the UCO Bank branch at Dwarka
Nagar in Visakhapatnam and two other bank employees opened a
current account in which Rs 353 crore were transferred on
March 23 this year, they said.
However, the bank funds were immediately reverted after
the fraudulent transaction came into light.
The current account in the name of M/s Pothina Tech
Constructions was opened at the UCO Bank on March 15 after
Nageswara developed friendship with Soren and sought his
cooperation in transferring a huge fund from the bank accounts
into the current account, they said.
Though, Soren initially refused to do it, he reportedly
under threat from Nageswara transferred a sum of Rs 353.61
crore from the bank`s suspense account into the current
account of M/s Pothina Tech Constructions through a cheque of
another bank, a CBI official said.
"Nageswara wanted a bank statement that could reflect a
huge bank balance in the name of his firm at least for three
days. It is not clear whether he wanted to commit any fraud
with this fund," the official said, adding that Soren abused
the password of the chief manager also (without his knowledge)
while debiting the amount.
Meanwhile, a senior official of UCO bank at the Zonal
Headquarters in Hyderabad detected this transaction and after
inquiring into the matter placed Soren and the chief manager
After conducting an internal inquiry, the bank approached
the CBI last week.
The CBI has registered a case under IPC Section 120B
(criminal conspiracy), Section 420 (cheating) Section 467
(forgery of valuable security) Section 468 (forgery for
purpose of cheating) Section 471 (using as genuine a forged
document or electronic record) Section 477A (falsification of
accounts) and Section 511 (punishment for attempting to commit
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened