CBI court allows ED to question Jaganmohan Reddy
Hyderabad: In yet another setback to YSR Congress Party leader YS Jaganmohan Reddy, a special court here Friday permitted the Enforcement Directorate (ED) to question him in illegal assets case.
The CBI court allowed ED to quiz Jagan, as the Parliament member from Kadapa is popularly known, in Chanchalguda Central Jail for 14 days.
The court, which had July 2 reserved its orders on the ED plea, permitted the central agency to question Jagan from July 7 to July 21.
The ED officials will grill Jagan in the presence of his lawyer every day from 10 am to 5 pm.
The CBI court rejected the objections raised by Jagan to the ED petition. In his counter, the MP urged the court to dismiss the petition.
Jagan argued that he is no longer chairman or director of Jagati Publications, the investments into which are under the ED scanner.
Jagati Publications, which publishes Telugu daily "Sakshi", reportedly received investments from firms based abroad in return for the favours doled out to them by the then government of Jagan`s father YS Rajasekhara Reddy.
The ED has already booked Jagan for alleged violations of Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) and Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA).
The ED last month questioned industrialist Nimmagadda Prasad, suspended bureaucrat B.P. Acharya and another bureaucrat KV Brahmananda Reddy in Chanchalguda Central Jail here in the same case.
Jagan was arrested by the CBI on May 27. The high court on July 4 dismissed his bail petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...