CBI officer deposes in fake passport case involving Salem
Hyderabad: A CBI Investigating Officer, who
probed a fake passport case involving Abu Salem in Andhra Pradesh, Thursday told a local court that the extradited underworld don and two others, including actress Monica Bedi,
impersonated to obtain the key travel document.
After the trial against the gangster for obtaining a
passport on "fictitious" name in 2001 from Kurnool district
began on June 18, the CBI Special Court here recorded the
statement of Investigating Officer Vijay Sarathi, a
In his deposition, Sarathi, who was part of the team that
probed the case during 2002-03 said during the investigation
he had examined prosecution witnesses and collected documents
related to the case after visiting Kurnool, Hyderabad and also
"I collected the specimen signatures of the accused in
the presence of independent witnesses. I verified the
particulars/addresses mentioned in the disputed passports
with the help of postal employees and forwarded the specimen
signatures and hand-writings to the Government Examiner of
Questioned Documents (GEQD) for scrutiny," he said.
Sarathi said by the time he handed over investigations
to another CBI officer in October 2003, around 90 per cent of
the probe had been completed. "After the investigation, I was
of the opinion that Abu Salem impersonated as Ramil Kamil
Malik and obtained a passport from the Regional Passport
Office in Hyderabad," he told the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?