CBI opposes bail pleas of Mecca Masjid blast accused
Hyderabad: The CBI on Friday opposed the bail
pleas of two accused in the 2007 Mecca Masjid bomb blasts
saying that the case was "sensitive" and there was a
possibility of "communal clashes" if the duo were released.
Arguing against the bail applications of the two accused,
Devendra Gupta and Lokesh Sharma, CBI senior public prosecutor
T V Ramana told the XIV Additional Chief Metropolitan
Magistrate Court here that the duo, allegedly having links
with a right-wing Hindu outfit, carried out blast at the Mecca
Masjid and targeted a particular community.
"It`s a sensitive case wherein the accused along with two
others who are presently on the run hatched a conspiracy to
target a particular community by placing bombs at their
religious places killing several persons," the CBI counsel
"A decision on granting bail should be done after taking
into consideration the society`s interest first rather than
based on individual pleas," Ramana requested the court and
expressed his apprehension that if the duo were enlarged on
bail it may lead to "communal" clashes.
The investigations into the case were still on and the
central probe agency was likely to make more arrests in the
case and if Gupta and Sharma are released on bail it may
further create problems in arresting the absconding accused,
Sandeep Dange and Ramchandra Kaslangra, he said.
Earlier, the defense counsel Ramchander contended that
the CBI had not filed a chargesheet so far in the Mecca Masjid
case and that his clients were under judicial custody since
After hearing the arguments, the judge posted the matter
for orders to November 15.
Gupta and Sharma, who are among the five persons who have
been named as accused in the chargesheet filed by Rajasthan
ATS in the 2007 Ajmer blast case last month, are presently
under judicial custody here in connection with the Mecca
A cell phone-triggered pipe bomb placed inside the Mecca
Masjid here during Friday prayers on May 18, 2007 had claimed
nine lives. Five people were killed in police firing in the
clashes that erupted after the blast.
CBI brought Gupta and Sharma to Hyderabad on June 17 this
year as part of the investigation in the Mecca Masjid blast
Meanwhile, the investigating agency also filed a memo in
the court for clubbing of the blast case and recovery of an
unexploded bomb from the Masjid premises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon