CBI plea to lodge Jagan, aide in separate jails dismissed
Hyderabad: A special court here on Monday dismissed a CBI plea to lodge YSR Congress President Y S Jaganmohan Reddy and his auditor Vijay Sai Reddy in separate jails.
Both of them are in Chanchalguda Central Prison in connection with cases of alleged quid-pro-quo deals.
The investigating agency, through a memo filed in the court, had contended that the judicial remand of Jagan and Vijay Sai in the same jail could hamper investigations and that they could hatch conspiracies.
Without naming any jail where either of them could be transferred, CBI requested the court that it was safe to separate them "as there was danger of their planning to influence witnesses" if accommodated under the same roof.
Objecting to the CBI plea, Vijay Sai`s counsel told the court that there was no provision in the law under which CBI`s plea could be accepted.
Vijay Sai, a close aide of Jagan and also one of his alleged business partners, was arrested by CBI on January 2, 2012 in connection with the case of alleged quid-pro-quo deals involving Jagan but was granted bail by a court.
CBI challenged the bail and moved the Supreme Court which on May 9 cancelled Vijay Sai`s bail and directed him to surrender before a lower court by June 5.
Accordingly, Vijay Sai surrendered before CBI court which sent him to judicial custody after which he was shifted to Chanchalguda jail.
Jagan has been lodged in Chanchalguda Jail since May 27 last year after his arrest by CBI on corruption charges.
Both are under judicial custody till July 1.
CBI had earlier alleged that Vijay facilitated transfer of "illegal gratification" money through various companies into Jagati Publications and other business entities of the Kadapa MP (Jagan), son of former Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister late Y S Rajasekhara Reddy.
CBI in its charge sheets filed against Jagan, Vijay Sai and other accused said that they hatched a conspiracy to defraud the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?