CBI questions Jagan in illegal wealth case
Hyderabad: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) questioned jailed YSR Congress Party leader YS Jaganmohan Reddy in the illegal wealth case Sunday, the first day of the five-day custody.
The questioning was on at the officer`s mess in the office of director general of prisons, adjoining Chanchalguda Central Jail, where Jagan is lodged since May 28.
The Kadapa MP, emerged from the jail gate around 10.30 a.m. With his trademark smile, he greeted mediapersons with folded hands before the CBI officials led him into the waiting vehicle. Clad in white shirt, he was clean shaven and looked fresh.
During the lunch break, Jagan`s wife Bharati called on him. The police had made elaborate security arrangements around the office of director general of police.
The CBI dropped its earlier plans to question Jagan either at its office in Koti or camp office at Dilkusha Guest House on Raj Bhavan road on security grounds.
Since both the offices are located in busy areas, the questioning may cause inconvenience to public. The vehicular traffic around Dilkusha had gone haywire when the CBI earlier questioned Jagan for three days.
The Andhra Pradesh High Court had Saturday sent Jagan to five-day custody of the CBI from June 3 to June 7. As per the direction of the court, the questioning has to be done between 10.30 am and 5 pm in the presence of two lawyers.
The CBI was also directed not to use third-degree methods during the questioning.
The agency questioned Jagan for three days before arresting him on May 27. It, however, told the court that he did not cooperate during the questioning and sought his custody for 10 days.
A team of CBI officials, led by joint director V.V. Lakshminarayana believed to be questioning Jagan about the investments made into his companies by various firms, including some based abroad.
Since the CBI gathered some information while questioning industrialist Nimmagadda Prasad, it wants to confront Jagan with the same.
The questioning will be mainly about Rs.840 crore investments made into Jagan`s companies by Vanpic, promoted by Prasad. Vanpic was allotted over 20,000 acres land in Guntur and Prakasam districts for two port projects and was given some other concessions.
Mopidevi Venkataramna, who as the then minister for investments and infrastructure had issued orders for land allotments and other concessions, was arrested by the CBI last month. He is currently in jail.
The CBI believes the funds were transferred to some briefcase companies in Luxembourg and Mauritius and routed back into Jagan`s firms through hawala channel.
The agency believes the investments were made on quid pro quo basis in return for favours doled out by the then government of Jagan`s father YS Rajasekhara Reddy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark