CBI summons Jagan for questioning May 25
Hyderabad: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Wednesday summoned YSR Congress Party leader YS Jaganmohan Reddy for questioning in his alleged illegal assets case May 25, three days before he is scheduled to appear in court.
Andhra Pradesh High Court Wednesday dismissed a petition by the Kadapa MP seeking exemption from appearing before the CBI.
Jagan`s counsel told the high court that the CBI was acting in haste to arrest him though the trial court judge had issued summons to him to appear before him May 28. He alleged that the CBI hatched a conspiracy to arrest Jagan with political motives.
The CBI counsel, however, argued that Jagan was summoned for questioning as part of the investigations into the case.
Earlier, the CBI rejected Jagan`s request to exempt him from appearing before it on May 25. A representative of Jagan submitted a letter to CBI officials in this regard but it was rejected.
Jagan, son of late chief minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy, is currently busy campaigning for his party candidates for the June 12 by-elections to a Lok Sabha and 18 assembly seats. He wanted exemption from appearing before the CBI at least till June 15.
The CBI court has already issued summons to Jagan and 12 other accused to appear May 28. The court has already dismissed the MP`s petition to exempt him from personal appearance in the court.
The investigating agency has filed three charge sheets against Jagan and other accused in the case. The court has issued summons with regard to the first charge sheet.
The MP is accused of conspiring with his father and then chief minister Rajasekhara Reddy to grant undue favours to companies which made huge investments into his businesses under quid pro quo arrangement.
Jagan Tuesday wrote a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh alleging that the Congress government in the state in collusion with the opposition Telugu Desam Party and the CBI had hatched a conspiracy to arrest him. He claimed that they were planning to trigger riots in the state after his arrest and to put the blame on him.
Apprehending law and order problems in Hyderabad, police have imposed prohibitory orders, banning assembly of five or more people.
Police chief Anurag Sharma said the orders would be in force from Thursday till May 29.
The police chief, in a statement, said some political parties were trying to mobilize supporters in Hyderabad, which may disturb law and order situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India