Chandrababu stresses on river inter-linking
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu Tuesday stressed on the need for inter-linking of rivers in the country for the betterment of agriculture and prevention of natural calamities like floods.
"From Ganga to Cauvery...Inter-linking of rivers is vital. The previous NDA government under Atal Bihari Vajpayee constituted a task force to look into the inter-linking of rivers but subsequently nothing happened during the 10-year UPA rule," Chandrababu said.
"Now that Prime Minister Narendra Modi is also very keen, inter-linking of rivers can become a reality," he said.
Addressing a meeting to mark the 112th birth anniversary of former Union Water Resources Minister and eminent engineer Dr K L Rao here today, Chandrababu recalled that Rao envisioned inter-linking of rivers decades ago.
"We will be paying the real tribute to K L Rao by realising his dream," he said.
Hailing Rao as a visionary, the Chief Minister said the former designed several irrigation projects for boosting the agriculture sector.
Andhra Pradesh government would henceforth celebrate Rao`s birth anniversary as Engineers Day, he announced.
"Dr Rao was a role model who did wonders in the days when technology was not so advanced. Young engineers should draw inspiration from him and fulfil his dreams," he said.
The state government is committed to completing the multi-purpose Polavaram project, he said.
"We will take full care of rehabilitation and resettlement of the displaced tribals under the project area," he assured.
Chandrababu said his government`s objective was to make Andhra Pradesh "drought-proof" and Polavaram project would be a boon in this regard.
State Irrigation Minister Devineni Umamaheswara Rao, former minister Vadde Sobhanadreeswara Rao, MLAs A Gandhi, Maganti Gopinath and others were present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'