Chandrababu stresses on river inter-linking
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu Tuesday stressed on the need for inter-linking of rivers in the country for the betterment of agriculture and prevention of natural calamities like floods.
"From Ganga to Cauvery...Inter-linking of rivers is vital. The previous NDA government under Atal Bihari Vajpayee constituted a task force to look into the inter-linking of rivers but subsequently nothing happened during the 10-year UPA rule," Chandrababu said.
"Now that Prime Minister Narendra Modi is also very keen, inter-linking of rivers can become a reality," he said.
Addressing a meeting to mark the 112th birth anniversary of former Union Water Resources Minister and eminent engineer Dr K L Rao here today, Chandrababu recalled that Rao envisioned inter-linking of rivers decades ago.
"We will be paying the real tribute to K L Rao by realising his dream," he said.
Hailing Rao as a visionary, the Chief Minister said the former designed several irrigation projects for boosting the agriculture sector.
Andhra Pradesh government would henceforth celebrate Rao`s birth anniversary as Engineers Day, he announced.
"Dr Rao was a role model who did wonders in the days when technology was not so advanced. Young engineers should draw inspiration from him and fulfil his dreams," he said.
The state government is committed to completing the multi-purpose Polavaram project, he said.
"We will take full care of rehabilitation and resettlement of the displaced tribals under the project area," he assured.
Chandrababu said his government`s objective was to make Andhra Pradesh "drought-proof" and Polavaram project would be a boon in this regard.
State Irrigation Minister Devineni Umamaheswara Rao, former minister Vadde Sobhanadreeswara Rao, MLAs A Gandhi, Maganti Gopinath and others were present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt