Chandrasekhara Rao re-elected TRS president
Hyderabad: K Chandrasekhar Rao was on Friday unanimously re-elected president of the Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) for the sixth consecutive term.
The Mahabubnagar MP was elected unopposed as the TRS chief for the two-year term at the 10th anniversary celebrations of the party at Mahabubnagar.
TRS MP Vijayashanti, state legislators, politburo and executive members, presidents of all 10 district units of the party and other leaders attended the meeting.
The meeting passed a resolution urging the central government to table a bill in Parliament for the formation of separate Telangana state, respecting the sentiments of four crore people of the region.
"People of Telangana want to live with self-respect and they are looking at us with the hope of realising their dream. Our responsibility has increased," said Chandrasekhar Rao while addressing the meeting.
A cultural programme was also held as part of the anniversary celebrations to highlight the unique culture of Telangana.
The meeting was scheduled to be held on April 27 but was postponed as a mark of respect to Sathya Sai Baba, who died last Sunday.
The TRS had planned a massive show of strength at Parade Grounds in Hyderabad but the defence authorities denied permission for using the venue.
It was in 2001 that Chandrasekhar Rao had quit Telugu Desam Party (TDP) to float TRS and revive the Telangana movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city