Chandrasekhara Rao re-elected TRS president
Hyderabad: K Chandrasekhar Rao was on Friday unanimously re-elected president of the Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) for the sixth consecutive term.
The Mahabubnagar MP was elected unopposed as the TRS chief for the two-year term at the 10th anniversary celebrations of the party at Mahabubnagar.
TRS MP Vijayashanti, state legislators, politburo and executive members, presidents of all 10 district units of the party and other leaders attended the meeting.
The meeting passed a resolution urging the central government to table a bill in Parliament for the formation of separate Telangana state, respecting the sentiments of four crore people of the region.
"People of Telangana want to live with self-respect and they are looking at us with the hope of realising their dream. Our responsibility has increased," said Chandrasekhar Rao while addressing the meeting.
A cultural programme was also held as part of the anniversary celebrations to highlight the unique culture of Telangana.
The meeting was scheduled to be held on April 27 but was postponed as a mark of respect to Sathya Sai Baba, who died last Sunday.
The TRS had planned a massive show of strength at Parade Grounds in Hyderabad but the defence authorities denied permission for using the venue.
It was in 2001 that Chandrasekhar Rao had quit Telugu Desam Party (TDP) to float TRS and revive the Telangana movement.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Norway helicopter crash: All 13 people on board dead, 11 bodies recovered
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video
- Kerala Assembly Elections 2016: VS Achuthanandan’s one line speech stuns CPM workers
- Actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha says he would be happy to promote Bihar as its brand ambassador
- Good news! Foreigners, NRIs can now book train tickets in India using debit, credit cards