Chaos in AP legislature, TRS, TDP MLAs try to manhandle Guv
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Legislature
descended into chaos on Thursday when TRS and TDP MLAs hailing from
Telangana region virtually manhandled Governor E S L
Narasimhan during which the mike and the lectern were uprooted
and chairs on the podium pulled down.
Lok Satta Party President N Jayaprakash Narayan and
Congress MLC Paladugu Venkata Rao were also allegedly beaten
up at the Assembly media point after the proceedings were
adjourned for the day.
The legislature was rocked by unruly scenes as the
Governor was delivering the customary address to the joint
sitting of Legislative Assembly and Legislative Council on the
opening day of the Budget Session.
Legislative Council Chairman A Chakrapani sustained
fracture on his right ankle when two TDP MLAs from Telangana
suddenly pulled down the chairs on the podium, an official
said, even as an unperturbed Governor wore a smile on his face
and continued with his address.
Chief Minister Kiran Reddy while describing the
incidents as a "dark day" in the history of the state
Legislature expressed regrets to the Governor and apologised
to the people of the state.
The TRS MLAs first uprooted the mike and later the
lectern as the Governor began his address.
Suddenly, two TDP MLAs ? A Revanth Reddy and Mahender
Reddy - rushed from behind and pulled down the chairs on the
In fact, Revanth Reddy surged towards the Governor and
tried to pull him aside even as the Governor`s personal
security staff prevented the MLA.
The TRS MLAs also tore copies of the Governor’s speech
and flung them at him while raising slogans "Governor go
TRS MLA T Harish Rao and his colleague Sammaiah climbed
the members’ table and tried to jump over the main podium but
marshals, who rushed inside the House, prevented them. His
other colleagues stormed the podium and tried to push the
Some marshals bodily lifted the unruly TDP and
TRS MLAs and took them out of the House. Harish Rao and
another TRS MLA K T Rama Rao assaulted even the marshals while
they were were being taken out.
Chakrapani and Assembly Deputy Speaker Nadendla Manohar
said they would initiate appropriate action against the
guilty after obtaining a detailed report from security
The TDP MLAs from Telangana region too joined the
protest and flung their shawls at the Governor.
A large posse of plainclothes policemen (marshals)
encircled the podium and stood guard to the Governor.
Amidst the din, an unperturbed Governor continued
reading his 38-page speech and completed it in nine-and-a-half
The entire proceedings lasted just about 14 minutes.
Narasimhan skipped the vexed Telangana statehood issue
in his address.
Narasimhan, however, made a veiled reference to the
ongoing agitation for a state of Telangana, saying,
"Political\communal violence is under effective control and
check. The overall law and order situation in the state is
Jayaprakash was returning after addressing the media on
the incident when TRS MLAs K T Rama Rao (K Chandrasekhar
Rao`s son), D Vinay Bhaskar and Aravinda Reddy crossed his
path and allegedly pushed and beat him.
The TRS MLAs also allegedly beat up senior Congress
MLC Paladugu Venkata Rao who happened to be there. Both
Jayaprakash and Rao are supporters of a unified AP.
The Lok Satta Party chief, who suffered minor injuries
in the attack, was treated by the Assembly doctors.
The Chief Minister held an emergency meeting with some
of his Cabinet colleagues in the Secretariat later in the
evening and discussed today’s incidents and how to run the
Budget session smoothly from tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof