Charminar tense again over worship site expansion
Hyderabad: The old city of Hyderabad remained tense Monday after incidents of violence the night before over reported attempts to expand a place of worship abutting the Charminar monument, police said.
Many shops remained closed Monday, and a holiday was declared in many schools and colleges.
A policeman was injured, six police vehicles and a few shops were damaged as people pelted stones at Shahali Banda near Charminar, the symbol of Hyderabad, Sunday night.
There were rumours that a rally was going to be organised by those supporting the expansion of the place of worship. Those opposing the construction at the site then gathered to pelt stones; stones were hurled back at them too.
Police fired teargas shells to disperse the clashing groups.
A policeman sustained injuries in the stone pelting.
An ATM and a few shops in the area were damaged. Police said the situation was tense but peaceful.
There were rumours that those demanding the expansion of the place of worship abutting Charminar were planning a rally from Koti to Charminar.
Police had earlier denied permission for such a rally, but some people gathered at Koti, triggering rumours that the rally would take place.
Violent incidents were reported Friday last, when people staged a protest against the attempts to expand the place of worship.
On the night of Oct 31, some construction activity had begun in the site; a group of people went on a protest and staged a sit-in, demanding that police intervene to stop the construction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins