Chiranjeevi all set to make it to Rajya Sabha
Hyderabad: `Megastar` Chiranjeevi is likely get elevated soon from a member of Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly to the Rajya Sabha.
His candidature is almost certain for one of the four seats that the ruling Congress can win in the biennial elections to the Upper House of Parliament from the state, slated for March 30.
The Congress, as part of his Praja Rajyam Party`s merger deal last year, promised to induct Chiranjeevi into the Union Cabinet by nominating him to Rajya Sabha.
In all, six seats will fall vacant in April with the retirement of four Congress members and one each of CPI and TDP.
Going by the current strength in the Assembly, the Congress can win four and the TDP two seats.
There is intense competition in the Congress for the other three seats with some heavyweights lobbying hard for a chance.
Former Union Minister of State Dasari Narayana Rao, who is among the four retiring members, is seeking re-election though he hasn`t openly expressed it so far.
Another former Union Minister Renuka Chowdary, currently an official spokesperson of Congress, is using her clout in New Delhi to make it to Rajya Sabha while Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy is said to be pushing the case of industrialist G V Krishna Reddy, head of GVK group.
Telangana protagonist K Keshava Rao, who too will retire in April, is desperately trying for a second term.
He has been aintaining a tacit silence, of late, on the statehood issue to remain in the good books of the party high command. But, even the known Telangana supporters in the party as well as the Chief Minister are said to be opposing Keshava Rao`s re-nomination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- PM Modi condoles APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea