Chiranjeevi formally joins Congress, hails Rahul
New Delhi: Telugu superstar Chiranjeevi, who
had merged his Praja Rajyam Party with the Congress sometime
back, on Saturday formally joined the party and hailed Rahul Gandhi
as the country`s "ray of hope" and future prime minister.
Chiranjeevi, who led the PRP in Andhra Pradesh, filled up
a form seeking primary membership of the Congress at a
function at the AICC headquarters in the presence of Rahul
Gandhi and senior leaders.
"I will remain in the Congress for the rest of my life. I
will be a loyal worker...I thank Rahulji, our Prime Minister
of the future," the actor said.
Describing Gandhi as the "future" and the "ray of hope"
for the country, Chiranjeevi said the AICC general secretary
has inherited the "qualities and passion" of his father Rajiv
Gandhi whose birth anniversary is being celebrated today.
The actor said he was joining the Congress as party chief
Sonia Gandhi has got a lot of affection and love for him.
Suggesting that he was missing Gandhi, who is recuperating
after a surgery abroad, he said, "I am not that lucky. I pray
for her speedy recovery."
AICC General Secretary Ghulam Nabi Azad, who is in charge
of the party affairs in Andhra Pradesh, hailed the development
saying Chiranjeevi is a superstar whose joining the party will
strengthen the Congress, especially in southern India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie