Chiranjeevi meets Sonia Gandhi
New Delhi: Praja Rajyam chief Chiranjeevi
today met UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi amid speculation that
he will merge his party with the Congress.
PRP is expected to have held discussions on strengthening
of the relationship between the two parties in Andhra Pradesh
in his meeting with Gandhi, sources said.
Senior PRP leader C Ramachandriaia also accompanied
Chiranjeevi in the meeting, which came against the backdrop of
the agitation for separate Telangana state and churnings in
the Andhra Pradesh Congress.
Defence Minister A K Antony and AICC in-charge for Andhra
Pradesh M Veerappa Moily were also present in the meeting.
The meeting is expected to discuss proposals like PRP
members being inducted into Nallari Kiran Kumar Reddy
Government among others.
Antony had met Chiranjeevi in Hyderabad recently and
invited him for talks with Gandhi.
According to political analysts, Congress is roping in
Chiranjeevi to counter the threat posed by its former MP Y S
Jaganmohan Reddy`s yet-to-be launched party. Congress also
feels that PRP`s 18 MLAs can save its government in AP by
shoring up the legislative arithmetic if there is a threat to
Chiranjeevi had yesterday said the decision to join
Congress will be taken only after meeting Gandhi.
"I can say only after the meeting," he had said when
asked whether his party will join the Congress government.
Chiranjeevi also said there was no going back on his
party`s stand of a united Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters