Chiranjeevi, Renuka elected to RS from AP
Hyderabad: Superstar-turned-politician Chiranjeevi, former Union Minister Renuka Choudary (both from ruling Congress) and former state Home Minister T Devender Goud of Telugu Desam Party were Thursday declared elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha from Andhra Pradesh along with three others.
The election result was announced here after the deadline for withdrawal of nominations ended this afternoon. The three others elected to the Upper House of Parliament in the
biennial election were former minister Palvai Govardhan Reddy and former journalist Rapolu Ananda Bhaskar of Congress; and industrialist C M Ramesh of TDP.
Of the six seats from the state, Congress bagged four and TDP two.
Chiranjeevi was rewarded with Rajya Sabha seat as a part of the deal for the merger of his Praja Rajyam Party with Congress last August. He is likely to be inducted into the union cabinet, as per the promise made by the Congress.
Chiranjeevi will have to vacate Tirupati Assembly seat.
Renuka Choudary, who lost the 2009 Lok Sabha election from Khammam, is currently a spokesperson of All India Congress Committee. She had earlier served as a member of the
Upper House as TDP member, and later won the election to Lok Sabha from Khammam twice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch