Cinema theatre owner, father arrested for polygamy
Hyderabad: A man and his father, who were on
run for the past few days for allegedly cheating and harassing
three women, were arrested by Visakhapatnam police.
A special police team arrested V B Rambabu (74), owner of
a cinema theatre and his son Jagadish Kumar (47) in Chennai
yesterday and brought them to Visakhapatnam this morning, a
senior police official said.
"The duo were arrested at Chennai and produced before
a magistrate in Visakhapatnam today who sent them to judicial
remand till March 4," Visakhapatnam Commissioner of Police
said over phone.
In the complaint lodged in II-town police station in
Visakhapatnam city, the women alleged that Jagdish cheated
them after marrying all the three of them and used to harass
along with his father.
Rambabu and Jagadish who were at large were planning to
take shelter in Bangalore, an investigating official said
adding following complaints by three women, the duo were
booked for cheating and harassing women while Jagadish was
also charged for rape, intimidation and wrongful confinement.
Further investigations are on, police added.
Earlier, AP Mahila Samakhya activists held a sit-in
Visakhapatnam demanding action against Jagadish and Rambabu
and seizure of their assets and alleged that Jagdish had
married seven women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon