`CJ`s action helped in restoring normalcy in AP High Court`

CJ Nissar Ahmed Kakru restored normalcy in AP HC after lawyers from Telangana had turned it into a battleground for 3 days demanding a 42% quota in appointment of law officers.

Hyderabad: Authoritative action taken by Chief Justice Nissar Ahmed Kakru restored normalcy in the Andhra Pradesh High Court after lawyers from Telangana region had turned it into a virtual battleground for three days while demanding a 42 per cent quota in appointment of law officers.

Besides, Justice Kakru`s "long discourse" also made Justice C V Nagarjuna Reddy, who tendered resignation from the judge`s post expressing anguish over the vandalism in the High Court, relent and withdraw his papers after two days of anxiety.
The vandalism caused by Telangana lawyers in the AP High Court on September 14 and 15 attracted the attention of Chief Justice of India S H Kapadia who instructed the High Court Chief Justice Kakru, who was in hometown Srinagar attending his daughter`s marriage, to cut short his leave and return to Hyderabad, highly-placed sources in the High Court said.

Complying with the CJI`s directive, Justice Kakru drove from Srinagar to Jammu by road on the night of September 15 to catch an early morning flight to Hyderabad. Upon landing in Hyderabad, he drove straight to the High Court and held a meeting of the full court and issued orders banning any form of agitations on the court premises.
Curbs were also imposed on entry of lawyers and other personnel into the court while orders were issued to the police to file civil and criminal cases against those involved
in the vandalism, the sources said.

"The court could resume functioning on September 17 because of these steps while effective police action also helped," a senior judicial officer said. "The civil society is surprised as to why the High Court is being made a platform (by agitating Telangana lawyers) when it is not the appointing authority of the law officers," the judicial officer observed.

With the judge`s resignation issue amicably resolved and the steps put in place, the High Court should be back to business as usual when it resumes on Monday.


By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link