Coast Guard ship Samudra Paheredar berthed at Visakhapatnam
Visakhapatnam: Samudra Paheredar, the indigenously built second pollution control vessel of the Coast Guard, arrived on Friday at the eastern command here in Andhra Pradesh, where it will be stationed permanently.
The vessel is specially designed to mitigate any marine oil spill, received a warm welcome from the Coast Guard fraternity.
"Samudra Paheredar which is the second pollution Control Vessel (LCV) was capable to deal with the emerging security and environmental challenges in the maritime zones of India," Commander of the ship and Deputy Inspector General of Coast Guard Iqbal Singh Chauhan said after addressing a gathering on the occasion of berthing the ship.
The vessel was commissioned on July 20 by the chief of Naval Staff Admiral Nirmal Verma at Surat.
The vessel has infrared surveillance system which can detect any oil spill even of minor nature and thereafter dissolve or disintegrate oil. Being a Coast Guard ship, it could also carry out tasks such as surveillance, interdiction, search and rescue and medical evacuation.
The 95-meteres-long ship, displacing 4,300 tonnes with a maximum speed of 20.5 knots in boost mode, has an endurance of 6,500 nautical miles and can stay at sea for over 20 days, Chauhan said.
"Samudra Paheredar is also equipped with Hi-sprint booms and river booms, recovery devices like skimmers and side sweeping arms and storage devices, oil recovery devices like skimmers, besides side-sweeping arms and storage devices and Oil Recovery Operation (ORO) tanks and inflatable barges," he said.
Chauhan said five high-speed boas, four water scooters and two pollution control boats have been provided for other Coast Guard charter of duties, including search and rescue.
"The ship is manned by 11 officers and 100 men who are specialised in various streams," Chauhan added.
The first pollution control vessel is stationed at West Coast in Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand