Coast Guard ship Samudra Paheredar berthed at Visakhapatnam
Visakhapatnam: Samudra Paheredar, the indigenously built second pollution control vessel of the Coast Guard, arrived on Friday at the eastern command here in Andhra Pradesh, where it will be stationed permanently.
The vessel is specially designed to mitigate any marine oil spill, received a warm welcome from the Coast Guard fraternity.
"Samudra Paheredar which is the second pollution Control Vessel (LCV) was capable to deal with the emerging security and environmental challenges in the maritime zones of India," Commander of the ship and Deputy Inspector General of Coast Guard Iqbal Singh Chauhan said after addressing a gathering on the occasion of berthing the ship.
The vessel was commissioned on July 20 by the chief of Naval Staff Admiral Nirmal Verma at Surat.
The vessel has infrared surveillance system which can detect any oil spill even of minor nature and thereafter dissolve or disintegrate oil. Being a Coast Guard ship, it could also carry out tasks such as surveillance, interdiction, search and rescue and medical evacuation.
The 95-meteres-long ship, displacing 4,300 tonnes with a maximum speed of 20.5 knots in boost mode, has an endurance of 6,500 nautical miles and can stay at sea for over 20 days, Chauhan said.
"Samudra Paheredar is also equipped with Hi-sprint booms and river booms, recovery devices like skimmers and side sweeping arms and storage devices, oil recovery devices like skimmers, besides side-sweeping arms and storage devices and Oil Recovery Operation (ORO) tanks and inflatable barges," he said.
Chauhan said five high-speed boas, four water scooters and two pollution control boats have been provided for other Coast Guard charter of duties, including search and rescue.
"The ship is manned by 11 officers and 100 men who are specialised in various streams," Chauhan added.
The first pollution control vessel is stationed at West Coast in Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked