College building caves in few hours before exam in AP
Machilipatnam (AP): A college building caved in the wee hours of today, hours before it was to host students who were to write their exam there.
As many as 40 students of Lady Ampthil Government Junior College for Girls were to appear for their vocational examination in the building.
However, the structure collapsed early this morning, College Principal K Ramprasad told a news agency.
The building, where the exam was to begin at 10 AM, was constructed in 1973 and the first floor was added in 1997, he said.
"Had the collapse taken place a few hours later, a big tragedy would have taken place,` the Principal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family