Compensation to those let off in Mecca blasts
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh government
on Friday gave compensation to 61 people who were acquitted or let
off in the 2007 Mecca Masjid bomb blast case here but most of
them demanded action against police officers for allegedly
The compensation of Rs 3 lakh each was given to 15
acquitted people, while Rs 20,000 each was given to 46 people
who were let off by police after interrogation, officials
State Minorities Welfare Minister Mohammed Ahmadulla gave
the cheques to the victims at a function organised by his
Fourteen people were killed in the blasts and subsequent
police firing in agitators.
Five persons will be considered for payment of
compensation after review and disposal of cases pending
against them, the officials said.
Thanking Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy for the
compensation, All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen leader
Akbaruddin Owaisi sought withdrawal of some other cases in
which they have been named.
He demanded action against police officers who allegedly
falsely implicated the youth in the Mecca masjid case.
Those who received the compensation sought action against
police officers for "torturing" them.
"We were falsely implicated. We were tortured. More than
this money, we will be satisfied if action is taken against
those policemen," Junaid, who was among those given
compensation, told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH