Cong begins parleys with party leaders over new govt in AP
Hyderabad: The Congress leadership has begun consultations with party leaders from Andhra Pradesh on the possibility of forming a new government in the state following the resignation of Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, and ways to revive the party in Seemandhra.
State Congress president Botsa Satyanarayana said in Delhi today that AICC General Secretary Digvijay Singh, in-charge of party affairs in AP, would meet leaders from Seemandhra who are loyal to the party against the backdrop of the state`s division.
He said Congress has majority in the Assembly, but maintained that the question of who would be the Chief Minister is not important.
Satyanarayana, who hails from Seemandhra, said the important point is addressing concerns of the people of the regions and reviving the Congress in the face of defections.
Several leaders from Seemandhra, including Union ministers, reportedly met Digvijay Singh separately today and held talks on the prevailing situation.
Congress has a strength of 146 in the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly with an effective strength of 279.
However, a number of MLAs from Seemandhra have announced resignation from their posts and also Congress over the state`s division.
Amid reports that the coming Assembly and general elections would be held in undivided Andhra Pradesh, Congress leaders from Telangana and Seemandhra have reportedly urged the party leadership to explore the possibility of forming a government instead of imposing President`s rule in the state.
Kiran Kumar Reddy had quit as Chief Minister on February 19 in protest against the division and the way the Telangana Bill was passed in Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery