Cong begins parleys with party leaders over new govt in AP
Hyderabad: The Congress leadership has begun consultations with party leaders from Andhra Pradesh on the possibility of forming a new government in the state following the resignation of Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, and ways to revive the party in Seemandhra.
State Congress president Botsa Satyanarayana said in Delhi today that AICC General Secretary Digvijay Singh, in-charge of party affairs in AP, would meet leaders from Seemandhra who are loyal to the party against the backdrop of the state`s division.
He said Congress has majority in the Assembly, but maintained that the question of who would be the Chief Minister is not important.
Satyanarayana, who hails from Seemandhra, said the important point is addressing concerns of the people of the regions and reviving the Congress in the face of defections.
Several leaders from Seemandhra, including Union ministers, reportedly met Digvijay Singh separately today and held talks on the prevailing situation.
Congress has a strength of 146 in the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly with an effective strength of 279.
However, a number of MLAs from Seemandhra have announced resignation from their posts and also Congress over the state`s division.
Amid reports that the coming Assembly and general elections would be held in undivided Andhra Pradesh, Congress leaders from Telangana and Seemandhra have reportedly urged the party leadership to explore the possibility of forming a government instead of imposing President`s rule in the state.
Kiran Kumar Reddy had quit as Chief Minister on February 19 in protest against the division and the way the Telangana Bill was passed in Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof