Cong declines comment on Minority quota rejection
New Delhi: Congress on Monday declined immediate comment on the Andhra Pradesh High Court order rejecting the Centre`s proposal to create an OBC sub-quota for minorities.
"You cannot react to court judgments until you have perused, read, understood and appreciated..(We can comment)....After we receive copy of the judgment", party spokesman Manish Tewari told reporters.
He had been asked to react to the High Court`s order which struck down the Central government`s proposal to give 4.5 per cent reservation to minorities within the OBC quota in central educational institutions and jobs, saying the decision was based on religious grounds and not on any other consideration.
The division bench of the High Court comprising Chief Justice Madan B Lokur and Justice PV Sanjay Kumar, passed the order in response to a PIL challenging the creation of a 4.5 per cent sub-quota for notified minority groups, including Muslims, out of the 27 per cent reservation meant for the OBCs (Other Backward Classes).
The Centre had earlier defended its decision saying that reservation to minorities was to be provided on the basis of their backwardness and not on the basis of religion. The sub-quota was meant for equitable distribution of benefits amongst communities concerned, it had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'