Cong deliberately announced Telangana just before Parliament session: BJP
New Delhi: Congress deliberately announced the decision to carve out a separate state of Telangana close to the monsoon session of parliament hoping that the ensuing commotion would leave little time for debate on various issues in the House, BJP suggested on Saturday.
"They made the announcement and then did nothing. They should have brought the Bill for creating Telangana in this session. But they took no step," Leader of the Opposition, Lok Sabha, Sushma Swaraj said, accusing UPA of "complete mismanagement" of the issue.
"Due to serious corruption allegations and mismanagement of economy, the UPA government had decided upon an escapist route" and wanted to merely pass certain key legislations and leave inadequate time for debate on issues we wanted", she and Leader of the Opposition, Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said.
It was obvious that this would cast a shadow on this session and it indeed did, they said. BJP, however, did not allow the government`s move to succeed, they said, and claimed it "exposed its mishandling on various issues".
MPs from Seemandhra region had disrupted Parliament for days before they were suspended. A quick decision would have solved the crisis, they said.
"BJP fully supports the creation of Telangana and would have preferred that a Bill for its creation as a separate state was brought in the monsoon session," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Wimbledon: British No. 3 Kyle Edmund faces 1st round exit.
- 'Bad cholesterol not linked to elderly deaths'
- Women's Kabaddi challenge set for debut, to begin alongside men's Pro Kabaddi
- Shahid Kapoor’s on-screen cousin 'Jassi' from 'Udta Punjab' will make you go weak in the knees – Pics inside
- Woman raped by husband, his brothers in Rajasthan; Maneka Gandhi asks NCW to probe