Cong ministers, legislators to raise pitch for unified Andhra
Hyderabad: A few Congress ministers and legislators from Andhra-Rayalaseema regions met here this evening amid speculation that the Centre would soon take a final call on the contentious Telangana statehood issue.
The legislators reiterated their commitment towards a unified Andhra Pradesh as they discussed the political scenario in the light of reports from New Delhi that the Centre was about to announce its decision on creation of Telangana state.
"We are all strongly in favour of a unified state. We will go to New Delhi if required and stress this to our party high command," School Education Minister S Sailajanath told reporters after the meeting.
Earlier, Minor Irrigation Minister T G Venkatesh told media persons separately that they would settle for nothing less than a unified state.
"If division of state becomes inevitable, the Centre should make the position of Rayalaseema clear. The Justice Srikrishna Committee, constituted by the Centre to look into the statehood demand, clearly noted that Rayalaseema was more backward in terms of development," he pointed out.
Venkatesh said that ministers and legislators from the Rayalaseema region would go to New Delhi after their colleagues from Telangana complete their planned trip to the national capital.
"We will meet the Congress high command to explain our stand on the statehood issue," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail