Cong ministers to raise pitch for unified Andhra
Hyderabad: A few Congress ministers and legislators from Andhra-Rayalaseema regions met here on Saturday evening amid speculation that the Centre would soon take a final call on the contentious Telangana statehood issue.
The legislators reiterated their commitment towards a unified Andhra Pradesh as they discussed the political scenario in the light of reports from New Delhi that the Centre was about to announce its decision on creation of Telangana state.
"We are all strongly in favour of a unified state. We will go to New Delhi if required and stress this to our party high command," School Education Minister S Sailajanath told reporters after the meeting.
Earlier, Minor Irrigation Minister T G Venkatesh told media persons separately that they would settle for nothing less than a unified state.
"If division of state becomes inevitable, the Centre should make the position of Rayalaseema clear. The Justice Srikrishna Committee, constituted by the Centre to look into the statehood demand, clearly noted that Rayalaseema was more backward in terms of development," he pointed out.
Venkatesh said ministers and legislators from the Rayalaseema region would go to New Delhi after their colleagues from Telangana complete their planned trip to the national capital.
"We will meet the Congress high command to explain our stand on the statehood issue," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical