Cong ministers to raise pitch for unified Andhra
Hyderabad: A few Congress ministers and legislators from Andhra-Rayalaseema regions met here on Saturday evening amid speculation that the Centre would soon take a final call on the contentious Telangana statehood issue.
The legislators reiterated their commitment towards a unified Andhra Pradesh as they discussed the political scenario in the light of reports from New Delhi that the Centre was about to announce its decision on creation of Telangana state.
"We are all strongly in favour of a unified state. We will go to New Delhi if required and stress this to our party high command," School Education Minister S Sailajanath told reporters after the meeting.
Earlier, Minor Irrigation Minister T G Venkatesh told media persons separately that they would settle for nothing less than a unified state.
"If division of state becomes inevitable, the Centre should make the position of Rayalaseema clear. The Justice Srikrishna Committee, constituted by the Centre to look into the statehood demand, clearly noted that Rayalaseema was more backward in terms of development," he pointed out.
Venkatesh said ministers and legislators from the Rayalaseema region would go to New Delhi after their colleagues from Telangana complete their planned trip to the national capital.
"We will meet the Congress high command to explain our stand on the statehood issue," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy