Cong MLA, MLC likely to contest RS polls on united AP platform
Hyderabad: Congress legislators from coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema regions of Andhra Pradesh are seeking to embarrass the party by defeating it in the biennial elections to Rajya Sabha slated for February 7.
An MLA and an MLC are planning to jump into the contest with the support of their party colleagues in the name of `Samaikya Andhra Pradesh` (united AP).
Senior-most MLA J C Diwakar Reddy, who rebelled against the party and went to the extent of seeking replacement of Sonia Gandhi as Congress president, has announced today that he was entering the fray for Rajya Sabha.
"I am certainly in the fray," he told reporters in the Assembly lobbies.
MLC Chaitanya Raju, who hails from East Godavari district of coastal Andhra, too said he would contest the RS election.
Raju is said to be backed by a minister from coastal Andhra while JC Reddy is entering the fray on his own.
While JC Reddy claimed to have obtained signatures of at least 10 MLAs in support of his candidature, Raju is in the process of mustering the required numbers.
The Rajya Sabha elections have come at a time when the Seemaandhra Congress MLAs were seething over the high command`s decision to bifurcate the state by ignoring their views.
The legislators seeking to contest the biennial election are said to be banking on the support of majority of the 100 Congress MLAs from Seemaandhra region.
The Congress is yet to announce its official candidates for the Rajya Sabha election from the state.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy and Pradesh Congress Committee president Botsa Satyanarayana are expected to discuss the prospective names with high command leaders in New Delhi tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends