Cong MLA to resign to protest Reddy`s continuation as CM
Hyderabad: Senior Congress leader and MLA from Punganur in Chittoor district in Andhra Pradesh, Peddireddi Ramachandra Reddy, on Wednesday said he is going to resign from the House tomorrow protesting the continuation of N Kiran Kumar Reddy as Chief Minister.
A former minister, Peddireddi is a known detractor of Kiran Kumar Reddy in their native Chittoor district.
Peddireddi had set November 29 as deadline for the Congress high command to replace the Chief Minister.
With no indication of a leadership change, Peddireddi announced in Chittoor today that he would tender his resignation as MLA tomorrow.
He, however, announced he would continue in Congress.
Peddireddi`s resignation might push the Kiran Kumar Reddy government into a further awkward position as three MLAs have already quit the party and joined YSR Congress.
Their resignations are, however, pending with the Assembly Speaker.
If these resignations are accepted, Congress` strength in the 294-member Assembly will fall to 149, just one more than the "magic figure" of 148.
This will place the government in a perilous position in the event of a no-confidence motion in the assembly as the seven-member Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) has already withdrawn its support to the Congress dispensation.
YSRC, which claims some more MLAs from the ruling party are ready to jump to its side, is seeking to move a no-trust motion in the assembly during the winter session.
It is trying to muster enough numbers for the purpose as it has 17 MLAs of its own and the support of eight "rebels" from Congress and TDP. It will need the backing of another five MLAs to ensure the no-confidence motion is taken up for debate in the House.
YSRC is pinning hopes on MIM for this, party sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah