Cong to take on Jagan loyalists on development plank
Hyderabad: The ruling Congress in Andhra Pradesh would fight the ensuing bypolls to 17 Assembly constituencies, which were represented by loyalists to Kadapa
MP Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy, on the plank of development and welfare schemes launched by the state government.
"Development and welfare will be our plank. We are
confident of winning over people`s confidence," state unit
Congress president Botsa Satyanarayana told reporters here
The by polls for 16 out of the 17 seats are
necessitated as the sitting Congress MLAs were disqualified by
the Assembly Speaker for switching their allegiance to Jagan
by violating the party whip, while the sitting member of
another segment quit in support of the Kadapa MP which caused
the by election.
The legislators were disqualified on March 2 and the
bypolls are supposed to be held in six months.
Though the schedule for the byelections is not yet announced, Congress,
Telugu Desam and other major parties have begun their
preparations in the right earnest.
Both TDP and Congress have informally finalised
candidates for some of the constituencies, while the YSR
Congress of Jagan is expected to field those who were
Asked whether the allegations of corruption against
Jagan would be an issue in the elections, the PCC president
said the Congress would definitely inform people about it.
He said the party would conduct a mass-contact
programme at the grass roots level to raise people`s awareness
on the state government`s decision to constitute a Cabinet
sub-committee to oversee the implementation of SC and ST
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter