Cong top brass meets again on Telangana issue
New Delhi: Amid a month-long general strike in
Telangana region, Congress top brass, including Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi, deliberated
this evening on ways and means to resolve the vexed separate
The latest consultations among the Congress Core Group
headed by Gandhi took place after central leaders had detailed
deliberations with Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy and
Governor E S L Narasimhan as also a cross section of leaders
from Telangana and other parts of Andhra Pradesh.
AICC General Secretary Ghulam Nabi Azad, who is incharge
of party affairs in the state, was special invitee to the
meeting attended among others by Finance Minister Pranab
Mukherjee, Home Minister P Chidambaram, Defence Minister A K
Antony and political secretary to Congress President Ahmad
There was no official word on what transpired at the
hour-long meeting held amid reports that the leadership wanted
to complete the consultation process within the Congress on
the Telangana statehood issue.
Government leaders have refused to give any deadline for
resolving the ticklish matter which has gained fresh urgency
following the revival of the agitation.
Last week, TRS chief K Chandrasekhar Rao had rejected the
Prime Minister`s appeal for calling off the strike and
threatened to intensify it if the Centre does not announce the
formation of the state with a "clear-cut timeframe".
"The consultations (within the Congress) will end
on Monday," Mukherjee told reporters after several rounds of
discussions with party leaders from Andhra Pradesh.
Asked when the issue would be resolved or a decision on
it would be taken, he said he cannot give any "time frame".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!