Cong top brass meets again on Telangana issue
New Delhi: Amid a month-long general strike in
Telangana region, Congress top brass, including Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi, deliberated
this evening on ways and means to resolve the vexed separate
The latest consultations among the Congress Core Group
headed by Gandhi took place after central leaders had detailed
deliberations with Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy and
Governor E S L Narasimhan as also a cross section of leaders
from Telangana and other parts of Andhra Pradesh.
AICC General Secretary Ghulam Nabi Azad, who is incharge
of party affairs in the state, was special invitee to the
meeting attended among others by Finance Minister Pranab
Mukherjee, Home Minister P Chidambaram, Defence Minister A K
Antony and political secretary to Congress President Ahmad
There was no official word on what transpired at the
hour-long meeting held amid reports that the leadership wanted
to complete the consultation process within the Congress on
the Telangana statehood issue.
Government leaders have refused to give any deadline for
resolving the ticklish matter which has gained fresh urgency
following the revival of the agitation.
Last week, TRS chief K Chandrasekhar Rao had rejected the
Prime Minister`s appeal for calling off the strike and
threatened to intensify it if the Centre does not announce the
formation of the state with a "clear-cut timeframe".
"The consultations (within the Congress) will end
on Monday," Mukherjee told reporters after several rounds of
discussions with party leaders from Andhra Pradesh.
Asked when the issue would be resolved or a decision on
it would be taken, he said he cannot give any "time frame".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez