Cong will do better in coming bypolls: Kiran Kumar
New Delhi: After the party`s dismal show in recent bypolls, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Wednesday said Congress would do better in the by-elections to one Lok Sabha and 18 Assembly seats.
"I think we will do better in this election," Reddy, who held consultations with the Congress top brass for the past few days on ways to revive the party`s electoral fortunes in the state, said.
By-elections to 18 assembly and one Lok Sabha constituencies are expected to be held soon in the state which sent over 30 Congress MPs in 2004 and 2009 general elections.
Asked about the dismal performance of the party in the bypolls held after he became the Chief Minister, Reddy said different agendas and different issues like demand for separate Telangana statehood were the "basis" of bye-elections in which Congress candidates were defeated.
"There have been different agendas or different issues as the basis of this elections. Some of them is division of state, some of them ..Different issues are there," he said.
To a question on Union Minister Vayalar Ravi`s state visit to assess the party`s position at a time when senior leader Ghulam Nabi Azad is the AICC General Secretary in-charge, Reddy said the Health Minister was busy with his foreign visit and also wanted to dedicate more time to his heavy portfolio as the Parliament session is nearing.
"The high command felt that Azadji cannot give enough time due to Parliament session and because of his foreign visit. He is holding a heavy portfolio.
"Parliament is starting and elections in Andhra Pradesh are likely to come very soon --in the next two or three months. So, they wanted someone who knows Andhra Pradesh and who can spend time in Andhra Pradesh," Reddy said explaining the reasons why Ravi was asked to visit the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof