Cong will put up good show in by-polls: AP CM
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Sunday expressed confidence that Congress party would put up a good show in next month`s by-polls to one Lok Sabha and 18 assembly seats.
"Our endeavour is to win the one Lok Sabha and the 18 assembly segments," he told reporters in Visakhapatnam.
He would be campaigning in Srikakulam, East and West Godavari districts for three days in support of the party candidates.
Congress and particularly Reddy are facing an acid test in the by-polls and will take on main opposition Telugu Desam and Kadapa MP YS Jagan Mohan Reddy`s YSR Congress.
Having drawn a blank in the by-polls held for seven assembly seats recently, one more round of by-polls for the lone Lok Sabha and 18 assembly seats will be a crucial test for Congress.
Meanwhile, asked about the comments made by Health Minister DL Ravindra Reddy that the Chief Minister appeared to have had a tacit understanding with Jagan, Kiran Kumar Reddy said: "He (Ravindra Reddy) does not have any work and you (media) don`t have any work".
Ravindra Reddy is known to be a critic of the Chief Minister and his latest attack on him drew flak from other party leaders as well.
Given that the Chief Minister had never made any critical remarks against Jagan, Ravindra Reddy had claimed that the chief minister appeared to be having a tacit understanding with the Kadapa MP.
Jagan and Telugu Desam Chief N Chandrababu Naidu have already been into thick of the campaigning having toured several districts over the last one month.
By-polls are necessitated for 16 of the 18 assembly seats as the sitting Congress MLAs were disqualified by Speaker as they switched loyalty to Jagan, while another sitting member resigned in support of the Kadapa MP. Chiranjeevi quit as MLA following his election to Rajya Sabha. The bye-election is necessitated in Nellore as the sitting Congress MP also resigned in support of Jagan.
Polling for the one Lok Sabha (Nellore) and 18 assembly constituencies will be held on June 12 while counting is scheduled for June 15.
Meanwhile, state Primary Education Minister S Sailajanath and Congress Chief Whip Gandra Venkata Ramana Reddy dismissed the allegations of Jagan that welfare schemes launched by his father (late Chief Minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy) were not being implemented properly.
Jagan and the YSRC leaders should stop making baseless allegations, they said.
Appreciating the Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy`s initiative to ink a pact with neighbouring Maharashtra on constructing an irrigation project Pranahita river for the benefit of both the states, Sailajanath said the project is a boon for Telangana region.
Meanwhile, the Chief Minister said the government would try to reach similar agreements with neighbouring Orissa and Chattisgarh on multi-purpose Polavaram irrigation project which has been the demand of coastal Andhra districts since several decades.
The agreements would benefit AP and also the neighbouring states, the Chief Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide