Cong will transform Seemandhra into modern state: Chiranjeevi
Vijayawada: Union Minister and Congress leader Chiranjeevi on Saturday said his party would "transform" Seemandhra into a modern state by bringing all-round development in the residuary state post creation of Telangana.
"The aim of Congress is to transform Seemandhra into Navyandhra (modern Andhra). After bifurcation of the state, it is the responsibility of Congress to develop it on all sectors, particularly in providing irrigation, and also employment opportunities to the youth," Chiranjeevi said while interacting with reporters here.
He said Congress had already promised to take up Polavaram irrigation project as a national project through which about 7 lakh acres of land will be brought under irrigation.
"The Congress will form government in Seemandhra, which will support industries in the region to promote employment opportunities," said Chiranjeevi, also chairman of the Congress` Andhra Pradesh Election Committee.
"Instead of creating awareness among people on the benefits of bifurcation, some opposition leaders are creating fears and doubts in their minds," he said, adding former chief minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy is "misguiding" people by saying that unified state is still a possibility.
Taking on TDP chief N Chandrababu Naidu, Chiranjeevi said, "Naidu cheated party cadres by selling out party tickets to industrialists."
Chiranjeevi said Modi will never become prime minister due to his "anti-secular" policies.
Earlier, he conducted road shows in the city in support of Congress candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?