Cong will transform Seemandhra into modern state: Chiranjeevi
Vijayawada: Union Minister and Congress leader Chiranjeevi on Saturday said his party would "transform" Seemandhra into a modern state by bringing all-round development in the residuary state post creation of Telangana.
"The aim of Congress is to transform Seemandhra into Navyandhra (modern Andhra). After bifurcation of the state, it is the responsibility of Congress to develop it on all sectors, particularly in providing irrigation, and also employment opportunities to the youth," Chiranjeevi said while interacting with reporters here.
He said Congress had already promised to take up Polavaram irrigation project as a national project through which about 7 lakh acres of land will be brought under irrigation.
"The Congress will form government in Seemandhra, which will support industries in the region to promote employment opportunities," said Chiranjeevi, also chairman of the Congress` Andhra Pradesh Election Committee.
"Instead of creating awareness among people on the benefits of bifurcation, some opposition leaders are creating fears and doubts in their minds," he said, adding former chief minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy is "misguiding" people by saying that unified state is still a possibility.
Taking on TDP chief N Chandrababu Naidu, Chiranjeevi said, "Naidu cheated party cadres by selling out party tickets to industrialists."
Chiranjeevi said Modi will never become prime minister due to his "anti-secular" policies.
Earlier, he conducted road shows in the city in support of Congress candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender