Congmen to meet senior party leaders to press for Telangana
Hyderabad: Asserting that they were ready for "any sacrifice", Andhra Pradesh Panchayat Raj Minister and a staunch Telangana supporter K Jana Reddy on Saturday said a fresh appeal would be made to the Congress high command to take a quick decision on the statehood issue.
"Ministers, MPs and MLAs from Telangana region will meet here on June 18 and chart out our future course of action," Jana Reddy said.
Jana Reddy, along with a few ministers and some MPs, discussed the statehood issue today in the backdrop of the `Chalo Assembly` agitation organised by the Telangana Joint Action Committee.
Though the government termed the Chalo Assembly a "failure", Congress leaders are facing the heat as the statehood agitation is set to gain momentum.
Finding themselves in a desperate situation, they have decided to go to New Delhi after the conclusion of the state legislature session on June 21 and press the Telangana case with the party high command.
The Congress Core Committee, which had met yesterday, did not come out with any announcement on the Telangana issue.
The party leaders are also planning to organise a public meeting in Hyderabad, besides meetings across the region, to tell the people that Congress is keen on granting the statehood wish soon, a senior leader said.
- 54 crore Indians in grip of drought: Swaraj Abhiyan
- Justice Rastogi backs CJI Thakur's appeal to increase number of judges
- Delhi-Faizabad Express derails near Hapur; 70 injured, emergency number issued
- VVIP chopper deal probe: CBI to grill former-IAF chief SP Tyagi, his 2 brothers today; major set-back for Sonia Gandhi?
- Colombia deports top Peruvian crime lord