Congress calls Telangana MPs for consultations
New Delhi: Ahead of the crucial vote in Parliament on FDI in retail, Congress floor leaders have called MPs from Telangana region in Andhra Pradesh, including Union ministers, for consultations amid apprehension that they could make the disappearing trick.
The meeting has been called by Home Minister and Leader of Lok Sabha Sushilkumar Shinde and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath in the wake of Andhra Pradesh MP`s Forum convenor Ponnam Prabhakar speaking of the possibility of some of the MPs staying away from the vote.
Prabhakar, MP from Karimnagar in Telangana, said that the MPs are agitated over non-decision on the contentious statehood issue.
Three Union ministers from the region -- S Jaipal Reddy, Sarvey Satyanarayana and Balram Naik -- have also been called for consultations.
Several MPs from Telangana have been protesting inside and outside Parliament on the statehood issue demanding that the Congress and the government immediately announce formation of a separate state.
Earlier in the day, Nath held a meeting of AICC convenors from different states as part of preparations to face the vote in both Houses of Parliament.
The party has already issued a three-line whip asking its MPs to be present in the House and vote in favour of the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family