Congress calls Telangana MPs for consultations
New Delhi: Ahead of the crucial vote in Parliament on FDI in retail, Congress floor leaders have called MPs from Telangana region in Andhra Pradesh, including Union ministers, for consultations amid apprehension that they could make the disappearing trick.
The meeting has been called by Home Minister and Leader of Lok Sabha Sushilkumar Shinde and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath in the wake of Andhra Pradesh MP`s Forum convenor Ponnam Prabhakar speaking of the possibility of some of the MPs staying away from the vote.
Prabhakar, MP from Karimnagar in Telangana, said that the MPs are agitated over non-decision on the contentious statehood issue.
Three Union ministers from the region -- S Jaipal Reddy, Sarvey Satyanarayana and Balram Naik -- have also been called for consultations.
Several MPs from Telangana have been protesting inside and outside Parliament on the statehood issue demanding that the Congress and the government immediately announce formation of a separate state.
Earlier in the day, Nath held a meeting of AICC convenors from different states as part of preparations to face the vote in both Houses of Parliament.
The party has already issued a three-line whip asking its MPs to be present in the House and vote in favour of the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security