Congress calls Telangana MPs for consultations
New Delhi: Ahead of the crucial vote in Parliament on FDI in retail, Congress floor leaders have called MPs from Telangana region in Andhra Pradesh, including Union ministers, for consultations amid apprehension that they could make the disappearing trick.
The meeting has been called by Home Minister and Leader of Lok Sabha Sushilkumar Shinde and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath in the wake of Andhra Pradesh MP`s Forum convenor Ponnam Prabhakar speaking of the possibility of some of the MPs staying away from the vote.
Prabhakar, MP from Karimnagar in Telangana, said that the MPs are agitated over non-decision on the contentious statehood issue.
Three Union ministers from the region -- S Jaipal Reddy, Sarvey Satyanarayana and Balram Naik -- have also been called for consultations.
Several MPs from Telangana have been protesting inside and outside Parliament on the statehood issue demanding that the Congress and the government immediately announce formation of a separate state.
Earlier in the day, Nath held a meeting of AICC convenors from different states as part of preparations to face the vote in both Houses of Parliament.
The party has already issued a three-line whip asking its MPs to be present in the House and vote in favour of the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad