Congress leader Rajagopal withdraws plea in HC
New Delhi: Seemandhra Congress leader and MP Lagadapati Rajagopal on Tuesday withdrew his plea before the Delhi High Court in which he had sought a direction to the Lok Sabha Speaker to take a decision on his resignation which was submitted on August 2.
Rajagopal withdrew his plea as Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar had rejected his resignation on Friday.
Appearing before Justice VK Jain, Rajagopal`s counsel told the court that, "The resignation of the petitioner has been rejected by the speaker and hence we would like to withdraw the case."
The counsel said, "The petitioner had re-submitted his resignation in the House."
Justice Jain allowed the counsel`s submission to withdraw the plea.
The court had earlier agreed to examine whether it can intervene in such issue.
Rajagopal had submitted his resignation to the Speaker on August 2 in protest against the Centre`s decision to bifurcate Andhra Pradesh and form a separate Telangana state.
His counsel had argued that there was no provision in the Constitution to compel an MP to continue like this after his resignation.
Rajagopal, who represents Vijayawada Lok Sabha constituency, had said in his plea that even after over two months and repeated requests, the Speaker has not acted on his resignation and he is "compelled" to continue as member of Lok Sabha against his will.
He had sought court`s direction to the Speaker to act on his resignation.
The petition had said that he tendered the resignation from the Lower House voluntarily and out of free will and this was informed to the Speaker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past