Congress leaders demand withdrawal of central forces from Osmania University
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh government on Sunday came under more pressure for withdrawal of the Central security forces from Osmania University (OU) here.
Following the demand by Telangana Congress leaders that
the Central forces be withdrawn and the alleged restrictions
on media be lifted at the OU, state Home Minister P Sabita
Reddy on Sunday convened a meeting of the Congress leaders, top
police officials and varsity`s peace committee.
"We told the Home Minister and officials that a war-like
atmosphere prevails at the University. Messes are closed.
There are reports of hostels being attacked. Students fear
that pellets and rubber bullets are being fired," Congress
Lok Sabha member M Jagannatham told reporters.
"Also, the restrictions on media have to be lifted.
Because we don`t come to know what is happening inside the
University. We sought relaxation on these things," he said.
Telugu Desam leaders from Telangana and TRS had also
demanded earlier that the forces be withdrawn from the Osmania
University, the nerve-centre of separate statehood agitation
by the students.
The Home Minister, however, clarified that there is no
truth in the propaganda that Central security forces have been
deployed in the University campus.
"We called this meeting to explain what is actually
happening in the University...The propaganda that forces have
been deployed in the University and that the students are
facing trouble is not correct."
"Forces have been stationed outside the University as a
precautionary measure in view of the incidents that happened
earlier," she told reporters after the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH