Congress leaders to mount pressure for Telangana
Hyderabad: Congress MPs, ministers and legislators from the Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh on Sunday decided to mount pressure on the party`s central leadership to take immediate steps for the formation of a separate Telangana state.
At a meeting here, they decided to visit Delhi June 9-10 to meet the central leaders and urge them to table a bill in the coming session of parliament for carving out a separate state.
Senior party leader and MP K Keshava Rao told reporters that if the leadership fails to respond positively to the demand, they would chalk out their future course of action June 20-25.
The participants in the meeting said they were ready to launch an indefinite hunger strike or submit their resignations.
"There will be no compromise on Telangana. We are determined to achieve it. We have spoken much and now it is time for action," he said.
State minister K Venkat Reddy said it was the last deadline on Telangana. He hoped that the leadership would take a positive decision.
The MPs and state legislators also decided to bring pressure on union minister for petroleum S. Jaipal Reddy to support them in the cause for separate state.
A delegation of party leaders later called on Jaipal Reddy and urged him to join them in the meeting with central leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Rio Olympics after-effects: Marathon runner OP Jaisha also tests positive for H1N1; hospitalised
- Hyderabad varsity JAC condemns judicial commission report
- Hillary Clinton says Donald Trump is taking far-right hate groups `mainstream`
- John Kerry arrives in Geneva for Syria talks with Lavrov
- Three killed in apparent crossbow attack in Canada